Wednesday, September 10, 2014

Exam strategies - 1


Today I will start a series of articles on study tips and strategies. To start, let’s put things in perspective, the CFA Institute published historical pass rates started in 1963, and they first adopted a three-exam structure in 1964. Almost everyone (94%) passed in 1963, which was the first and only year just one exam was required for the charter. In 1964, 79% of all candidates passed the level 1 exam. These numbers look shocking today, in fact historical level 1 passing rate has been well above 50%. Today, we are seeing a ten-year average of 46% pass rate.


What intimidates most people I’ve talked to in all levels is the sheer volume of study material. Coming from a business background, I felt level 1 was somewhat equivalent to a finance major undergraduate curriculum give and take some topics not directly related to finance. Keep in mind the authors of CFA curriculum are mostly hired with some academic background and are given a clear mandate specified in each learning outcome statement. This entire knowledge database is organized so well.

When candidates first sign up to take this exam, candidates generally have minimum understanding as to what is expected out of them in the exam, this understanding, of course, will change as you go through your studying or least favourably, when you take it more than once.

Here’s what I am trying to say, the authors have a mandate to cover each study area, candidates are expected to follow the same mandate. Before candidates get this the hard way, my first advice to the level 1 first time takers and also candidates in other levels is: 

Know what you are expected to do in the exam by reading the CFA Institute learning outcome statement (LOS). 

This is very important throughout all CFA exams, especially for level 1 candidates. By following this practice, there are a number of benefits. Master the target testing points for each LOS, stop doing additional readings that don't help you score more points in the exam, and you will find your hours more effective. I will demonstrate what I mean using the following example.

Example:
LOS Reading 28a. calculate the yearly cash flows of an expansion capital project and a replacement capital project, and evaluate how the choice of depreciation method affects those cash flows;

This statement asks you to CALCULATE yearly cash flows meaning you are expected to calculate using the logics and formulas.  It also asks you to EVALUATE how choice of method affects cash flows, meaning you are expected to evaluate that, not to calculate the effects.

Understanding the expectations from CFA Institute will help you better prepare and focus your studies on things that are required as well as avoid things that are not required.  i.e. you don’t have to memorize some complicated formulas if you were not required to calculate.

When I studied for level 1, first thing I did was highlight the verb in each LOS, and made sure I am doing what's been asked. It helped me pass the exam with all topic scores above 70%.

It’s been a rainy day here in Toronto, perfect weather for studying, good luck.

20 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very inspiring. Having mire hope now! Great blog! Thanks

Anonymous said...

Thanks for this post. Very helpful . I enjoy reading every of your post. Hope you will continue posting more. Thanks!

Nancy said...

Your blog gives me some hope. I may ask you some questions. Where should I put my questions on level 2? Thanks! Great blog!

Anonymous said...

Your post is very inspirational and good guidance! Thanks! Keep up the good work! Your blog rocks and your post on bonds really nail it for me! I refers your blog to my friend who us going level 2 as me.

Ray said...

Thanks for your insight. Good tips. Like your blog! I will be coming back often to read your update. It would be nice if you can give explanation on difficult topic using intuitive explanation other scenario and example as you did for the bond, that was my favorite post. Thanks. You must gave put a lot of time to find up with test good explanation and scenario? Thanks. Great blog!

PassCFAExams said...

Thanks for your comments, and am happy to hear more feedback from you! Appreciate the help on spreading my blog over to your friends, lol, thanks.

I've added a forum on this blog but will see how it works since it's not a feature at blogspot. Hopefully it works well so you can post comments questions on the forum.

Ingrid said...

This post rock and whoever write this strategy post is a star ! Thanks your blog is very inspirational and give me hope. Try to use forum but too slow to load.

Ben said...

Your blog is very helpful and your bond and yield curve explanation is short, straight to the point. Wish the boom could be that clear and short. Your blog relieved some stress on me. Thanks! The only problem is I'm a bit addictive to your blog now, check in morning, lunch tine, before leaving work, dinner time (which cause some problem at home as my wife hates when I don't focus on her dinner), in evening and in bed....your blog is so inspirational and good that ii become addictive to it! :)

Anonymous said...

My friend refers your blog to me. I thought oh another blog but thought to give a try as entertaining. After reading all your post especially strategy post, I thought omg, fortunately I gave a try or else I muss a big thing. Your blog is really making feel that you went through the same pain and difficult time as us raking cfa. It not only gives me hope but it is very helpful. Great blog! Please continue to update! Me too I am becoming addictive to your blog!

Lisa said...

Love this post on strategy! Also addictive to your blog! Amazing tips!

Ricky said...

That's the best blog I come across. This post on strategy is amazing. Love your blog. I'm scared that you stop writing this blog. I'm starting to become addictive too. Try to use forum but too slow to load. When will you post another strategy topic? Thanks. Great blog! Refer it to my friends.

Anonymous said...

Love your blog! Great topics! Keep it up.

Anonymous said...

I'm very grateful to find this blog. This is almost too good to be true, a blog that is personal, inspirational and giving clear explanation with example ! Great job! I will spread it out. Current doing level 1 and if you have good summary and study notes on each level please give some sample and let me know the gist and would it be possible to buy PDF format? This is great! I'm also becoming addictive to your blog!

Greg said...

I'm more than just addictive to your blog ! I think I'm number one fan to your blog!nread it in morning, lunch, coffee break, before dinner, dusting dinner, during my cfa break, before going yo bed and in toilet! :) and also got into trouble with my wife especially when I read it during breakfast and dinner time...my wife feels she is second now after this blog....I must be more careful when I dive into your blog but it is really addictive and inspirational!
It would be nice to see more post! Your blog definitively rock! I'm also willing to buy summary on level 2. Just key points to remember for level 2. Thanks

Anthony said...

I got referred to your blog and it was a delight to read all the post and comments. I agree with other about your post being very helpful, inspirational, personal,...it is nice to see that someone out there is willing to share tips to pass and take time to give explanation. You must have a big heart and charisma to blog on such complex material to help us. the post on strategy is the best and I also enjoy to read the post on bond. I pass CFA level 1 but fail 2 times level 2 and I'm still debating if I should pursue level 2. After reading your blog, I decide to register fir level 2. Thanks for helping. You have no idea his your post help me.

Vince said...

I pass level 1 after 2 attempts but fail level 2 one time. This will be my second time doing level 2; but when I read your post on bond, which I should also know and understand as I passed level 1; I realize I didn't really understand the intrinsic concept and this is the first time I finally "click" !
As other, I find your post very helpful and inspirational. The only thing I think that need improvement:
- can you organize post by section: for example study note for level 1, 2, 3 and under each section, put dub section so your post on bond would be a dub section under section level 1.
- more post to summarize key points to remember per level.

Thanks so much. Great blog , very helpful.

Amy said...

This is a really nice 'start-up' blog :) very promising. I save it under my favorite. Very helpful the post on strategy. Thanks a lot. Agree with the previous comment, it will be nice to hav a bit more structure, like CFA level 1, then under that section, the different topic.
Other than that, any other strategy and tips to pass level 1 will really be good.
Definitively a great blog !

Anonymous said...

I have registered to follow your blog 2 days ago but never received any email to notify me about your ne post. I know 2 of my friend also has the same problem; they register to follow your blog but never got a notification email when you update.
I will just have to check time to time :) This blog is definitevly worth the effort. Thanks a lot for all your post. Looking forward for your future post ! Great blog !

Anonymous said...

Thanks for thi great post ! Spend half of the night reading your post and all the comments ! Really very helpful. It is a relieved to know that other also find difficult to understand the inverse relationship. Feeling less alone in this journey. Currently doing level 2 but debating if i should stop continue...I think I will continue after reading your blog. Thanks. It would be nice if the latest comments show first because right now i have to scroll all the way to the bottom to see the latest comment. Thanks

Anonymous said...

Thanks a lot for your strategy post. It us really helpful. Any other tips to pads level 1? I know it is supposed to be the easiest level among the three levels but still fail 2 times. The part I hate the most us the financial statement analysis. How did you do on this section on your exam? Any tips ? How should I study thus chapter on financial analysis? Thanks, definitively great blog and very well explained post!